Due to the fact that I am having the 5th graders maintain blogs...I figured that I should do the same. This blog is mainly for updating the "world" on what is occuring in our 5th grade classroom! I will be posting pictures and videos of random events that occur throughout the year!
Please bear with me as I learn to maintain this thing :)
A few highlights from the first 6 weeks of school
WonderopolisThe students partnered together and chose a topic from "Wonderopolis" to research and present. We learned about many things from how to create scratch&sniff stickers, to how to stretch a limousine, to what the world's largest snake is. One pair even constructed their own periscope!
Each Student group also created 4 words to describe their week. Here is what we have come up with so far:
![]() |
| We love the government |
![]() |
| We love the Preamble |
| We love math |
| We studied all day |
| We love fun Fridays! |
| We enjoy to read (we're still working on grammar...) |
Plate Tectonics!
I found a great little activity that involved teaching plate tectonics through eating! What could be better?? We learned about convergent, divergent, collisional, and transform plate boundaries. In the words of one student, " who knew that science could be fun, tasty, AND educational?!"
Aye Aye, Matey!!
Wednesday, September 19th was International Talk like a Pirate day. We celebrated in a variety of ways including: shaking "hooks" as a morning greeting, studying pirate jargon and using such phrases throughout the day, pairing actions with various phrases and doing them throughout the day, and researching and presenting reports on a few real-life pirates. It was a fun day for all!
Here is a wee clip showing a bit of what me mateys looked like throughout the day. Arg.








No comments:
Post a Comment